Skip to Main Content
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law Logo

Pritzker Legal Research Center

Center on Wrongful Convictions (CWC) Research Guide

This guide supports the research needs of Northwestern Pritzker School of Law's Center on Wrongful Convictions (CWC)

Private Sources

Public Sources

Last Known Address

  • A person has moved may have left a forwarding address. Send an envelope to the last known address and write "ADDRESS CORRECTION REQUESTED / DO NOT FORWARD" on it. If the post office has a forwarding address on file, it will put a correction label on the envelope and return it to you.
  • Contact the person's friends or relatives, as well as the current or last known employer and ask if they have a current address.

More Public Records

  • Departments of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
  • Register of Deeds/County Recorders Offices (if the person owned property)
  • City and County Tax Departments (look up local government's website where the person lived)
  • State and local business records (contact the state office that regulates businesses/corporate compliance, trade names, or commerce)
  • Trade or Professional Licensing entities (Members of a regulated trade or profession, such as a barber, dentist, nurse, doctor, or private investigator, may be certified, licensed, or registered through a state agency.)
  • Utility companies